Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Juice??

So I watched a show last night called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". At first it seemed like he was trying to hock something but then I realized nope, no, he is just Australian and is trying to hock a healthy diet... This guy was fat and out of control - even had weird rashes and health concerns that medicine wasn't helping... He decided enough was enough and looked into how to fix his life. Somehow the guy turned to an all juice fast. Now let's get something straight. We are talking fresh do it yourself juice. Not the juice you get at the grocery store. But juice like I could buy off the street in Turkey. I still think about that juice. Fresh squeezed orange, peach, berry, you name it- from groves in the Mediterranean. Pair it with street roasted corn with garlic butter? See photo of me 60 lbs ago with a flat tummy. Ugh. Even in this cold winter storm I'm salivating like mad just thinking about it. Damn you Mediterranean street juice. Damn you.

Anyway, this guy adds pounds of kale and veggies to his juice fast. Drinks only this juice for 60 days and loses like 100 lbs. He doesn't make it look easy and he acknowledges how hard it is- but not the hunger- just the mental struggles... And I can't believe how much I want a juicer now.

Now before you think I'm crazy- know this- cancer is rampant in my family history. Grandparents dying before I was born, my auntie, my own dear sweet, funny, smart dad and I've had a scare with it myself. I've been doing some reading/thinking/too much time alone when H is in bed, and I think something like this is exactly what I need. The exercise I can do. It's the eating I have troubles with. Halloween, lunches at work out, Starbucks, pumpkin spice beer, pumpkin pie at Safeway for 2.99. A WHOLE DELICIOUS PIE FOR 2.99? What are they made with nimble child fingers in China?? How is this possible and why is it so good? Argh. BUT I've read a few theories that cancer cells thrive on sugar... Not sure how true this is- because I'm too lazy to do the research and I rely on the world wide web and it's crazies for information
sometimes. And sugar and I go way back. My mom used to have to hide her baking. But there I'd be- standing on the dryer with a pocket full of cookies... But if this sugar-bad juice-good isn't true? No harm done if I try to do something like this I think.

A recent health scare has reminded me that my health is the most important gift I can give to my son. And I was starving today after my trip to the dr. so I stopped at Padmandi- the highest rated vegetarian restaurant in the city. And I dined by myself on fake chicken curry and rice with fresh pineapple juice and thought. It felt great to eat something out that i knew wouldn't harm me in the long run. It was really nice to just be with myself for a small quiet, slow bit. Which doesn't happen too often to a full time working mom with a toddler.

Back to juice- Fasting this way is apparently supposed to be healthy for humans. Our bodies are designed for it. Certainly not for 3 square meals a day an a sedentary lifestyle. I'm sold. Now to buy that juicer. Eek.

No comments: