Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Adventures of Old Kristie...

So. This has been a week of firsts. My son went skating and NAILED it first try AND he went to the bathroom in a toilet this week for the first time (let me tell you that was better than Christmas).

First for me- hot yoga. I've been begging everyone I know to come with me on this because I've been very scared to try it alone. It mainly has to do with my body image issues. I just want one form of familiarity there with me so I don't feel so exposed I guess... Well, I was worried because, well because hot yoga sounds scary. The websites have all kinds of tips to prep and things to bring so it got me a bit worried. But Jill showed up and so did I! I have never sweated so much in my life! It kept dripping of my nose and falling on my towel. I noticed it running off my shoulders and even my knees were sweaty. It was phenomenal despite what you're thinking- but physics how??? It was very stretch based and slow with lots of rest breaks just like I like it. And no, I didn't get all the poses- some moves were akin to folding a tennis ball in half for me- science just hasn't reached a level of physics that can make them happen yet. Just impossible. I need to lose some guttage, and boobage area to make a lot of them plausible :). I was so tired after, I just went home and crashed! I did really miss my nightly bedtime ritual with the kiddo though so I'm not sure how many times I can go. He's only this incredibly cuddly age once :(

That being said, I started my swim training again tonight. The pool close to my house has a swim training program 8:30-9:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays where a coach will train you to swim. For the cost of pool admission- or if you have a membership. Which is pretty damn good if you ask me, and the class sizes are small (>10 usually). I used to go quite regularly- when I broke my leg and tore my tendons - my surgeon asked me if I swam... I said no, I barely passed red as a kid. "well you do now" he said. I did it for 3 months- and I attribute it to my ability to have a completely normal ankle right now. And I learned to rotate my body, kick, bring my elbows out, switch breathing sides to avoid kinks and see better, and that I love swimming. It is another one of those sports where the only person I have to prove myself to is myself. I fail miserably at team sports because I get to feeling bad about myself because I'm not the 3rd batter, or centre, or whatever the beat player is. I don't let anyone down by missing a shot in swimming, running, or biking. It's just me, the water, the pavement, and the distance. I love distance because I can go at a nice pace (for now) and let my mind wander. I think about work, my friends, my family, projects, the KIDDO, and I find i get in a groove and it's all mental. I love it. And i forgot how much I loved it. So anyway, I went back swimming tonight. So much fun. I've got a rest day tomorrow and back at it swimming Thursday and a bike ride to work! Yay! Until then...

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I just love reading your posts!