Thursday, October 23, 2008

Setbacks can be motivating


Never in my life have I wanted to run more. Breaking my leg in my skiydiving accident was one of the worst/best things that has ever happened to me. Worst thing because it hurt like hell, included two painful surgeries and lots of intensive physiotherapy that I could have all done without... HOWEVER, it was one of the best things that has ever happened to me in that mandatory immobility and ass sitting for 10 weeks seriously gives a person time to think.. I got into physio and decided I was going to start swimming on the advice of my burly inpersonal surgeon's advice ("Do you swim? No? You do now. Three times a week. If you want to walk properly again"). I joined the Peter Hemingway's swim training program with the ultimate goal of a triathlon in May. And after 7 sessions I'm hooked... I love the gliding and the motions and the way my body feels in the water... I've gotten over my childhood fear of being underwater (I had a couple near miss drowning incidents as a kid- scared me as much as my parents!) and I'm enjoying the movements and the quietness and the strength I can feel building up in my arms and lungs! Don't get me wrong... it's a 50m pool- I almost drowned the first two weeks almost everyday. But I stuck with it and now I'm excited every time I get to go. Last night I got moved up to the medium ability lane (yay) and Lincoln timed us for a hundred metres and I was at 2min and 25 seconds- not an Olympic feat but I gave it my all and I'm pretty pumped about it and I'm very enouraged to keep going and improve! But because of my surgery today to get my screw out of my ankle (Finally!!) I can't go swimming for two weeks. Sigh. It feels like forever. I'm saddened and quite frustrated that I have to be put back for 4 sessions but I'm looking forward to it again and I'm going to be walking on incline elevation on the treadmill and cycling in the meantime. There is a women's weight training course starting next Sunday at the pool and I'm going to sign myself up for it so that I can come home and apply the same moves... I'm pretty excited and I hope this excitement lasts longer than my obsession with the fiddle. Props to Erin :) and Twyla for being my motivational partners!!!

No comments: