Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dairy IS actually kinda of scary...


Hoo RAH!!  The stitches are all scabbed up and I'm back swimming... it was a bit testy in the water on Monday- mostly because I thought I was going to be asked to race again- but I wasn't- so it was all good!  In fact, I have been moved up to the middle lane and out of the beginner lane!!  I've graduated to big girl swimming now!  Today Lincoln had us doing 200m without stopping three times in a row.. then we did 600m with one minute breaks and I thought for sure I was going to drown.  But instead, I passed someone!!  I'd never done it before so I'm not sure if saying "excuse me" in a half drowning sort of gurgly way is correct... but whatever... it's only my first season.  It was supposed to simulate racing because we weren't supposed to stop after every 100m and chat or adjust our goggles... it's amazing the excuses I can find and how nitpicky I can be when it means I get a rest break haha.  Also with passing someone, I realized getting kicked in the face could actually be a threat if I don't watch where I'm going.  The training program gets busier on some days and so there are a lot more people sometimes thrashing around out there.. and it made me wonder about the race.  I mean people are killer in races and what if someone kicks me in the head and knocks me out?  And because I'm so tired I just fall to the bottom of the deep end?  It crossed my mind tonight when I got tired that I could actually die because of some over zealous triathlete who might not want to stop if he/she kicks someone in the head because it will mean they lose time.  And what if the lifeguard doesn't see me go down because the pool will be so busy?  But I take comfort in the thought that everyone has goggles and there are lots of people in the pool and SOMEONE will notice a girl laying at the bottom.  I'm sure of it.

I've really gotten good at not swallowing half the pool while I swim.  I've discovered if I turn my head back really far and look at the roof then when I go to put my face back in the water, because I'm moving, I'm at an angle where the water glides over my face instead of straight into my gaping, gasping mouth.  I almost died the first week because I swallowed the equivalent of Slave Lake in water, chlorine, pee and old lady aquafit sweat. Shudder.  

I've also been on the treadmill for 8 miles a day... after my physiotherapist has me doing 16 minutes at the steepest incline after and 2 minutes on incline barefoot to work all the little muscles in my foot that hate me.  Good thing I don't work right now!  I've developed a bit of plantar fasciatis in my broken leg foot and it's kind of painful in physio and in the mornings but I'm working on some exercises he gave me to correct it so it shouldn't be around much longer.  As for running, not until I can get on my tipee toe on my right leg only, will I be able to run.  So I practice it all day long, rising up on both feet on my toes and then lifting my left leg in the air and coming down on my right leg slowly.  It's amazing how your muscles go to pot when you can't use them!   

I've also purchased a bike trainer for my mountain bike.  It's a hardcore fluid trainer, which translates into super expensive- but it's worth it for me to be able to train on my own bike for this race.  But I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting for the weather to turn sour... no point loading my bike unto it if I want to take it out the next day!  It needs a different tire with no tread so that it is quieter and doesn't destroy the tread!  So I haven't used it yet but I'm going to and I'm excited... My brother is interested in using it too so hopefully we can both use it and I can feel like I contributed to our home gym.  Because right now the yoga mat and the giant ball are the only things in there that are mine...

And last but not least nutrition... it's been going pretty good actually- I'm weening myself off dairy right now because I've read so much crap about it lately... when you think about it- it's pretty effing gross.  It's lactate.  From a cow.  Not even our own species.  It's for growing calves from tiny babies to big cows in as short of time as possible.  It's FULL of additional growth hormones humans thrown in too!  And I'm the girl who almost won the dairy challenge dammit!  I love milk, and ice cream, and yogourt, and cottage cheese... jeez.  It's pretty bad how dairy has become so integral to our western diet.  It makes me wonder if maybe that has something to do with our obesity endemic?  I'm also concerned about the growth hormones in all meat... I mean, how can we expect to not be huge when we eat animals that are plugged full of things to make them huge.  It all accumulates in us - it's common sense.  So I'm weening dairy, most meat and sugar from my diet.  I'm doing it slowly and allowing myself some things when I crave them because otherwise I'd end up having a breakdown and eating an entire carton of ice cream with a pound of bacon wrapped around some cheese for dessert. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what studies there are regarding this, but my doctor attributes the early development and onset of puberty in girls to the hormones added to milk. Studies say that females are developing at an earlier age (as early as 8 or 9). I dunno, since I heard that I've been kind of milk phobic. I guess the fact it comes from a cow udder is another reason to avoid it. There are other ways to get calcium.

I went milkless for a year a while ago and since then I haven't been able to drink milk without rushing to the washroom immediately after... As a kid I used to be able to down 1L/day...I think that may be why I was such a porker as a kid!

Sorry, I was creeping facebook and this link was your status. Props on the exercise goals! Good luck!